German-American Singing Society Since 1878
Ladies Auxiliary & Germanic Heritage Auxiliary
1840 Lincoln Avenue, Louisville, Kentucky 40213
Clubhouse Telephone: (502) 451-3100
Rental Inquiries: (502) 635-8750
President: Bill Willinger
Mission Statement: The purpose of the German-American Club, Gesangverein, Inc. (GAC) is to perpetuate German culture and German style of sociability, to promote the art of music through group singing of German songs, and to preserve the German heritage in Louisville.
The German-American Club Gesangverein, Inc. was founded in 1878 by Louis Vormbrock at Beck’s Hall on Jefferson Street. The fifteen men who met there called themselves the Sozialer Männerchor. They hired Otto Schuler as their first music director and gave their first concert in the gardens of Beck’s Hall in June 1879.
In 1884 a Constitution was established and a society flag was designed. Professor Gustav Clausnitzer became music director, a position he held for over two decades. In 1914 the Club hosted the national festival of the North American Singers Union, the largest collection of singers ever to visit Louisville.
In 1937 the Ladies Auxiliary was established. The Club moved its first permanent home on Jackson Street in 1942 and changed its name to the Social Male Chorus. In 1964 Urban Renewal forced the Club to relocate to 1840 Lincoln Avenue. In 1992 women were allowed to join as full members and the club was renamed German-American Club Gesangverein, Inc.
The Club still strives to promote German culture, holding two concerts a year and many German activities at its club house and also in the city. The main dance hall and club rooms are decorated with German flags and various artifacts. Photographs of various groups who have visited from Germany are proudly displayed.
We are proud to be called the German-American Club with Southern Hospitality.